View Single Post
      09-14-2012, 12:33 PM   #45
Frobius
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d M-Sport

Garage List
Guys, fear not about the adapter. Firstly, the reason it's so expensive is that the lightning port is an adaptive interface. Basically, depending what you plug into it, the printouts change what they output. Pretty clever stuff really.

The adaptor is essentially an interface which should be able to tell what 30 pin device you've plugged in and call for the right signal from the iPhone. The whole video out not supported is one thing. That's apparently because theyre coming out with an hdmi to lightning connector soon, as well as a VGA to lightning one. The iPod out is not analogue audio, it's for cars that can show the actual iPod interface on their screens. The systems are pretty rare to be honest, although I think BMWs are one of the few manufacturers that actually have this? Analogue audio and iPod out are very different things.

The adaptor is meant to support, charging, control of the phone, digital audio out, USB audio out and of course analogue audio out. Just no video or iPod interface out.

This make sense?

It had me going mental too to be honest but a bit of research and a quick call to Bowers & Wilkins who make my Zeppelin iPod dock cleared it all up.