04-24-2013, 02:17 AM   #18
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary@TireRack View Post
In actuality, the vehicle manufacturer's recommended tire inflation pressures have a lot to do with load capacity, handling, and a variety of other factors the OEM must consider before putting their product into the hands of the general public.
I'd agree there are a lot of factors. Not one pressure for everyone and every type of usage. However I don't know anyone who adjusts their tire pressure when going on highway trips or if they get 2 additional passengers.

A lot of people seem to choose the PSI figure for 2 people in their car, and then wonder why their tires don't wear evenly, why they get mushy handling from their high performance tires, and why they occasionally damage rims. Part of the problem is probably due to short trips in city traffic where they normally don't get the tires up to operating temperature. BMW's approach is different from most manufacturers and they give more detail, but I personally don't think its useful. Generally I think it leads to people underinflating their tires.

Last edited by John_01; 04-24-2013 at 02:30 AM..
Appreciate 0