View Single Post
      05-21-2012, 08:52 PM   #10
akotten
Major
Rep
Drives: 2004 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
akotten-- I'm so sorry this happened to you. But i'm glad you are ok and that the damage wasn't worse. First thing I would do is check the lid of the WW tank. I think it's far more likely that meth sloshed out of there, started the fire which damaged the meth feed line going into the pump. The meth lines should be more than capable of withstanding under hood temps as they are rated up to 800F and 350psi. Underhood temps rarely go above 250F even during racing conditions and the feed tubing doesn't even see any pressure. That's why its far more likely that the fire started elsewhere and then damaged the meth lines. When you get a chance to inspect the car again, please call us and ask for me. It would be a good idea to find the exact cause of the fire so it doesn't happen again or to anyone else.
Oddly enough, one of the first things I inspected after the incident was the WW cap. It appeared to be OK as I opened it and then closed it again. Also, all of the fire appeared to have occurred on the drivers side. If meth splashed out of the WW fill neck, I think there would have been damage near it, which there clearly was not. All of the damage is on the driver side, starting just after the valve cover. I just looked through my phone and I really didn't take any pictures other than the car on the trailer. I'll try to call you tomorrow sometime, Shiv.

Unfortunately, I probably won't see my car again until it's fixed. There are some really good shops around Denver so I just can't justify the cost of having it towed home.

Spool Twice: I won't disclose where I'm going to fix this or where I'm originally from until insurance takes care of things. RC is just the location for school.