08-14-2017, 06:03 PM   #1
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Weird non Comfort Access key fob battery error

I hope someone can explain what happened here, but this past weekend something very strange happened. I decided to use my secondary key fob which hadn't been used for a few months (I have always cycled them like this), but after I unlocked the car and inserted the key, I am greeted by a low battery error message. I then took the car for a 30 minute drive in the hopes that the error would go away if it is simply a case of the key fob battery being a bit low. This unfortunately didn't happen, and instead it persisted.

The following day I took the car for a long drive or approximately an hour and a half, and this didn't help either. This is where it gets strange - this afternoon I took both keys with me again, but instead of using the bad key, I put the good key in, and same problem! So now it's not actually the key fob, unless both failed at the same time, highly doubtful. Well, I took the car for a drive with the bad key since I had to go for a drive anyway, and on the way back I decided to stop and see what happens if I park the car and lock, unlock etc. So I did just that, I stopped, switched the engine off, removed the key fob, then without getting out of the car, just unlocked and then locked the car - sat still and waited about 30 seconds, then unlocked and opened and closed the driver's door.

Now this is where it gets interesting - put the bad key fob back in, no error! Remove and put the good key fob in, no error! So what on earth was going on here?! I don't drive the car daily, and I have been battling with an intermittent battery drain issue for quite a while now, so the car is always parked in my garage with the bonnet (hood) open and therefore the car is never locked and alarm never set. Could this have caused some confusion when the secondary key was all of a sudden being used? I am going to keep an eye on this to see if it reoccurs though.

Appreciate 0