View Single Post
      02-27-2016, 07:53 PM   #21
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Well I must investigate this as a possible cause of my ongoing low rpm stumble. Everyone that has looked at the car insists that the coils are fine, and even insist that these coils don't "give problems". Well I know this is nonsense since they are the same coils as used in the E46 M54 motors and they DID give problems. I have a spare good set from an E46 but my E90 is one of the earlier models being an '05 sold here back then, and for whatever reason, BMW used a slightly different coil pack where the plug has a notch that is either centred or off-set (can't remember right now), but whatever it is, it is different to the newer coils which are the same as what the E46's used. Apparently, other than the differently positioned notch or tab, the coil is electronically the same and once that notch/tab is cut/broken off and plugged in, it is suppose to work as intended. So will "butcher" those things off these coils and give it a try. Maybe I have been sitting with a coil (or coils) that are slowly dying... I have done pretty much everything else that is typically associated with this kind of problem, so who knows.

If it turns out to be the case, then I am obviously going to get a proper new set of coils and also replace the Bosch plugs which I fitted some years back as the first attempt to solve this with the more accepted NGK plugs.

Appreciate 0