Freude am fahren
Rep
Drives: E90 N54

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
F80 M3
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684529

Factually incorrect? Tri-turbo, just like whether or not the engine will be a straight 6 of v6, its all speculation. As of right now, there really are NO facts -- For all we know the next M3 coupe might be rebranded the M4 (I hope to God that it won't be).

I also never said it was going to be an N54, my comparison was that it would be a bit foolish for BMW to have to two (one in the 335i & one in the next M3) twin-turbo'd six cylinder engines in the same model range.
To be technical...they don't make any cars with the N54 (twin turbo) anymore to my knowledge. They use the N55 which is a single, twin scroll turbo... But nonetheless I think it is all the more reason that if they don't make a V8 M(insert 3 or 4) which by all accts they're not it'll be a tri-turbo I-6. I don't know that BMW has any history with V-6 configurations. I am not a historian on the subject...But it is also myopic for people to compare the M cars directly to their non M brethren b/c the latter lack the high RPM tolerances, LSDs, etc. that make an M car...an M car. Certainly you can add some of these things aftermarket but not many do. My point is that there are features besides the engine that set them apart (and demand a higher price point).