07-08-2009, 12:58 AM   #25
viobruin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo2112 View Post
OP here. I honestly had only the momentum left in the car to get it pulled to the side of the road. Given the blind corner and very limited space, etc., I did not get out of the car to check things out. I had BMW Assist call the local PD, and waited for them to show up, block off traffic behind, and ensure I could safely exit before checking things out.

I guess I'm one of the very few that have had a sudden failure. Let me say, in a different locale/speed, it could have been worse. Luckily, I was in the right-hand lane and able to pull over. Had I been in the left lane, this would not have been pretty. It really is a blind, sweeping corner with very heavy traffic and medians/barrier walls. The local police commented I was pretty lucky to get it pulled over where I did, too.

Chalk mine up as a close-call for a possible accident. I don't recall reading about any accidents here, a few on-ramp failures is about it.

Car is at the dealer now, had a call from the SA, and I mentionned it was likely the fuel pump had failed. He was smooth, and didn't indicate pro or con if was even aware of this problem. Go figure.

So does this mean that you're not absolutely sure it's the fuel pump?

Glad to hear you're ok. Sounds like a ridiculously scary situation to be in. I had my HPFP die too. Luckily I was still able to drive it to the dealership.