07-31-2013, 06:41 AM   #290
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackturbo View Post
Thank you so much, I understand it's normal to have the driver side light lower, but it just felt way too low to me. My other friends thought the same. It got so annoying. I'm so pleased to find your post of the pic for the e92, now my lights are way way better
It's not surprising to find the driver's side lower, but it does not need to be and that isn't the specification. The pattern of the lights (when aimed properly) is supposed to take care of not dazzling oncoming drivers. Generally the lights are either a check-mark or step pattern which is higher on the passenger side.

This should be required reading: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/images/Aim.pdf

Furthermore, I have seen various BMWs that print the aiming spec right in the plastic of the housing. An F10 I was recently driving says 1% - so the oncoming-facing part of the pattern should drop 1" for every 100" ahead. (Or 3" over 25', just like Daniel Stern's guide says).

Use Stern's process to ensure that your lights are pointed straight ahead by sighting from the rear of the car, then adjust for 1% down angle, and enjoy. Generally I find factory and dealer-adjusted lights are set too low.
Appreciate 0