05-19-2006, 08:47 AM   #16
petesamprs
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh49
IMO, I think this is much "cleaner", and much more professional. I always hardwire my accessories such as my radar detector, dash light (Volunteer Fire) through the fuse box. Using the fuse tap shown here, the radar detector is also protected with its own fuse. If I wire to a fuse box, I know exactly what I am getting, and what electricity I am getting. Tapping into random wires for the sunroof, etc, I am unconfident with the power I will be getting, and potentially damaging the radar unit ($300 - $400). If I make a mistake taking this route I buy a new fuse (3 fuses / $2 ). This is my reasoning...

I have to disagree with this as well. A lot of people were having problems taking the sunroof control panel off, some claiming after an hour its still not off, and they damaged their headliner. Others are having power problems, and the radar detector doesn't work when the sunroof is opening, etc. People are confused what wires to tap into... To sum it up, I thought this was a sketchy way to get something done, and I didn't think twice before choosing the other route. Hardwiring to the fuse box I could get done in 5 minutes, and to me is the "right way" to get it done...
Fair points. Thanks.

I actually think the sunroof install is "cleaner" since the wire goes right up into the headliner and not across the whole windshield, down the A pillar and into the fuse box. I agree with your point about the power source uncertainty, but after many BMW owners have successfully used this source for many years, along with the board members here, that concern was alleviated. Lastly, with regards to the install, I guess it's all relative...I can do the sunroof hardwire within 15 minutes.

Regardless, it's great having options, so nice work.

Retired: '08 M5, '08 550i (ED), '06 330i
Appreciate 0