View Single Post
      05-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #18
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Well, I'll add to the knowledge base a little.

Scheduled a dyno appoint for this morning with a fairly close diesel shop: http://www.shop.blackwidowdiesel.com/

They specialize in diesel pickups. They have a Superflow dyno with the biggest, heaviest drums they made. It’s big enough for dually pickups to use without removing the outer wheels. The Superflow can be setup in several configurations (the big turbo trucks usually need a load applied before the turbot’s will spool up) but I asked him to put in something similar to a DynoJet, which means inertial config (no load on the rollers except for their own mass).

Weather was sub optimum as we’ve been getting rain for what seems like forever. Nearest weather station said 66F, 63F dew point, 90% humidity, 29.7 in barometer … and it was sprinkling outside when I left.

Had a hard time keeping the car from shifting out of 4th gear on the pulls if applying too much skinny pedal at low rpm’s. Ended up starting the run at ~2000 rpm and gently rolling into the pedal. That seemed to work well, but its missing the lower rpm data.

This is on a car with stock emissions equipment (DPF/SCR) and stock intercooler.

Compared the Evolve to the Evolve + my customized stuff (progressive rail pressure distortion and 2D H2O/methanol injection at 55% H2O/45% methanol).

From the ¼ mile performance (12.6’s and ~109-110 mph) the online calculators predicted ~ 400 crank horsepower. I’ve seen all kinds of ways to account for drive train loss, but for RWD automatics a common value I’ve seen thrown around is ~20% drive train loss. That would then mean something like ~ 320 at the wheels if that‘s true.

Dyno results can vary all over the place, even for the same car on the same day (http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/03...ine_dyno_dash/), so we should all take these dyno results with a grain of salt.

This dyno test results that are attached showed 327 wheel hp and 501 peak wheel torque for the Evolve + Custom stuff and 282hp 436tq with just Evolve by itself. My Gtech hp/tq tests from another thread showed the Evolve gave about the same hp gains as the JBD by itself at ~100%.

The hp numbers agree well with the ¼ mile track results and ~20% drive train loss assumption. I still think the most useful results come from track results (seen a lot of examples of large hp dyno numbers that don’t do well at the track) as I drive most of the time on a road and not strapped to a dyno...

Also took BT data during the pulls. The results lineup with my other measurements in the 335d data collection thread.

The EGT’s are reasonable for this power level, and the custom 2D H2O injection does an amazingly good job of controlling IAT’s (with the lower power level of just the Evolve remap the IAT’s hit 144F and with the much higher levels of the custom config the IAT’s peak at only 106F)

The highest pressure drop across the DPF I recorded was 267 mbar (or 3.9psi).

Happy compression ignition everyone.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0