07-20-2009, 08:55 AM   #10
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacegraye70 View Post
just want to minimize any chance for sludge build up.
I discovered that with synthetics sludge build up is virtually nonexistent. Recently I had the valve cover of my M3 out to do a valve adjustment and I was simply amazed by the cleanliness of that 20 year close to 6 digits mileage engine. It was squeaky clean.

Now don't get me wrong I am not saying that going from 15K intervals down to 5K makes no difference. Guess what, if you changed your oil every day vs 5K it would make a difference too. I am saying that the difference as it relates to the rest of your car is negligent. I come across this ALL the time, people proudly changing their oil every 5K and then when you asked them when was the last time they've done brake fluid flushes or coolant flushes they look at you with that "what is that?" face. The point I am getting at is that extra oil change you were planning on doing is better to be replaced by another maintenance task to the car or set that money aside for when you really need it.

If 5K changes make you sleep better at night then do it, piece of mind for less than $100 is well worth it.