nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Question best car under $30K?

I've been mulling this over for the past week; and for the most part, I think I've made my decision. But come'n guys, 37 views and 1 response. You can do better then that. I left the original post below the line; so if you have any comments regarding it, I'd still like to hear them.

I'm listening to the voice of reason.
Figure financial security outweighs a sweet car... the sweet car will come eventually.

So my new mission is to find the best coupe under $30k. Yeah, I'd prefer a coupe, and obviously coming from the E90, I'd like something that's a driver's car and has a high-quality fit/finish.
Right now, the cars on my short list are the VW GTI, Mini Cooper S, and Mazda RX-8. Plan to go test drive each this weekend. Any opinions on these cars, or suggestions for others to check out?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I'm trying to decide which car to get; and weighing the financial impact each choice would have.

Found a beautiful brand new 2007 M coupe for a good price. It's everything I want in a car. 2 door coupe, RWD, great lines, powerful, unique (for a general production car), and Bavarian.
Only downside is the price. Well, that and the fact that when bartending on Friday and Saturday nights, I'd probably park a block or two away and walk or cab it to work. I feel uncomfortable already if a customer sees me pull up to work in a 3er. But yeah, the price would be about $75 a month more then I'm paying for my E90. Not a huge increase, just that as it is now, I put about 15-20% of my income into savings each month; minus the occasional unexpected expense. So could I pay for it?.. Yes. But if my financial situation changes for the negative, then so would my ability to pay for the car.

The other option, would be to listen to the little voice in my head telling me to be practical.
So I'm debating getting a VW GTI or maybe a Mini Cooper (though if I add the JCW package it's nearing $40k). That way I get a 2 door pocket rocket for about $30k. Sure it's not FWD, or a BMW, but it gets me around and cost less to operate/maintain then the BMW.
This way, I could put an extra 15-20% aside and into my savings. This money would be a nice base for either a condo purchase, a downpayment on a new car in a few years (keeping the hatchback as my daily driver), or just fun money for vacations, getting back into snowboarding, a new tv and xbox360, etc.

A big reasoning for these thoughts, is that my father's health isn't great.
I figure this would give me the option of bailing on work, and still paying my bills, so I could spend time with him if his health takes a turn for the worse. The last thing I want is to regret not spending time with him; something I can never get back. Then again, he could be around for another 20 years... you never know.
I mentioned this to him; and his response is. "If I die, the life insurance will go to you, and you won't need your savings anyway. Why would you want to spend money driving something that's not the car you want?" Not the answer I was looking for.

I know there's no right or wrong answer, and either way, I realize I'd be fortunate to drive whichever car I do. Many of my peers would love the ability to even consider this choice.
I guess I'm just looking to see what everyone else has to say. Do you follow your passion or your logic?

- Adam

Last edited by nmulax; 01-10-2008 at 12:08 AM..
Appreciate 0