View Single Post
      02-09-2013, 01:42 AM   #78
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
It is about the FEELING that you are in CONTROL.

As you will note from all the posts here, people dont care about fuel economy, people dont care if it a little slower for the average driver, people dont care if they cant drink a cup of coffee and accelerate on tight turns.....

People here are CONTROL freaks. (nothing wrong with that)

And they have to do things which make them FEEL like they are in CONTROL.
I agree it's about control, but it's not an illusion. It is reality. What I hated most about ALL AT cars I've driven was the fact that sometimes the transmission would shift mid turn, or sometimes, you floor it and it would downshift immediately, sometimes, it would pause a bit and then shift. Or worse yet, in my Acura TSX, I would be pulling out in traffic and I'd gun it and the transmission would stall for a split second before catching and peeling out.

ATs just do not provide as much direct control as MTs. That's a fact, not just something we MT owners "feel" to be true. In an MT, you can shift EXACTLY when you want, exactly how you want (rough fast shift or leisurely easy smooth shift). You can downshift in the middle of a turn and match revs to seamlessly place the car in the correct gear without upsetting the balance of the car. You can shift from 1st to 6th gear if you want. You can downshift from 6th to 2nd gear, etc. Any way you want it, that's the way you have it with a MT.

The control is precisely why MTs are so much fun and preferred over AT. It is not the "feeling" of control, it's the actual control you have.
Appreciate 0