10-26-2010, 12:04 PM   #30
jimk
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeptic View Post
BMW needs to spell out in detail what they mean by the following:

"Based on the individual service history of the vehicle, the action will entail replacement of the high-pressure fuel pump and/or a software update."

They say only 40,000 out of 130,000 will require new pumps. I had my HPFP replaced with the 881 version when they "announced" their first voluntary recall.

My warranty just expired and I took it in just days before expiration and then again on my last day of the warranty period and had the High Pressure Pipe and the Inlet pipe replaced since I had a major fuel leak. I now think the dealership improperly installed my HPFP which then led to the leak. I complained several times that I noticed strong fuel smells at times and was told each time not to worry because these cars "run rich".

I would like to see BMW deal with this issue once and for all, but I am not holding my breath.

My thoughts too. As stated in their letter, BMW can still do a "software upgrade" to vehicles with older pumps (which primes the pump before starting) and call it fixed. I hope they actually replace all pumps to the "fixed" one and if they want software upgrades to keep it running reliably, I'm all for it. But that clause gives them a way out or replacing all pumps to the new type which means we may not see anything different from what they are already doing today.
Appreciate 0