Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
E90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_b View Post
It does look like it is, but .... nope. They use very specific wording to avoid saying the oil is "approved for" these standards:
"AMSOIL European Car Formula Synthetic Motor Oil is formulated to meet or exceed the most demanding European specifications. It is recommended for European gasoline and diesel vehicles requiring any of the following performance specifications:
•API SN/SM
•ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4
•BMW LL-01
•Mercedes-Benz 229.3, 229.5
•Porsche A40
•Renault 0710, 0700
•Volkswagen 502.00, 505.00"
They are careful to NOT say the oil is approved. Makes me wonder why. They formulate it to meet or exceed the standards listed, but don't say "approved". Very lawyer-speak-ish.

"My pancake batter recipe is formulated to meet the highest quality standards at many restaurants, and it is recommended it to anyone who likes Denny's, Waffle House, or Bob Evans pancakes."

vs.

"My pancake batter has been tested by Waffle House, and they approve it meets their standards."

Compare the Amsoil language to the language on other oil products, for instance another one mentioned in this thread, Motul. They specifically lists "Approvals":
APPROVALS
BMW LL-01
GM-Opel LL B-025 (Diesel)
MB-Approval 229.5
Porsche A40
Renault RN0700 under N° RN0700-10-70
Renault RN0710 under N° RN0710-10-43
VW 502 00 – 505 00"
Not saying Amsoil is good or bad, it does get good reviews on some sites. And who knows, maybe it would meet the testing criteria and approval process.

But based on that language, thay are not saying it is approved to those standards, which means tested by the various standard owners. They specifically cannot say an oil is "approved for" unless they go through the standard testing process. If a company goes to the expense of having an oil product tested to a standard, they will almost certainly say "approved for" the standard, or list "Approvals", since that's why they went to the trouble and expense of having the test performed in the first place.
LOL like the whole pancake thing! Gonna go with the Motul 8100 X-Cess 5W40 have you used this before?