View Single Post
      02-25-2014, 03:04 PM   #83
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureHaze View Post
Funny thing is that I met a guy at my buddy's b-day party last weekend that used to own an old A3 (now drives a Cruze ) and swears that driving hard prevented him from being bitten by the carbon buildup bug. I told him that wasn't the case with from the looks of this forum.
some not DI gas engines that can help stop piston buildup. I have a 2002 Nissan Maxima and it definitely responds to the italian treatment. If you drive around in the 3500-4500 range for a few minutes and then do some amount of full throttle it will make a brown/black cloud out the exhaust where as doing the same full throttle pull without running it hot before hand it wont look like that at all. It has bad piston buildup from running really rich during a period of trying to figure out WTF was wrong so now it responds to that treatment. Plenty of older fuel injected and carb'd engines get buildup like that. Using a spray bottle and misting water into the engine works better though on that kind of buildup usually. The guys with valve buildup have a lot more work, seafoam and similar "soft" chemicals dont do anything, it takes real chemicals or walnut blasting to get that buildup off
Appreciate 0