View Single Post
      12-08-2010, 12:29 PM   #29
wilstave
Legend
Rep
Drives: Loading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_loft View Post
This is true. BMW releases the "IS" / special edition models around the end of the platform's life cycle. They are trying to squeeze more revenue through minimal enhancement that doesn't cost them that much more to manufacture at a premium. To BMW, the only additional cost are the additional cooling components. Wheels, different style, doesn't cost them any more to manufacture; It's just a swap. M-Tech kit, different plastic mold and no additional cost. Engine software, some developer changed the boost pressure and wrote code for when the torque boost kicks in, practically at no cost. The total operating cost to manufacture and build an IS is probably negligible but they are able to get $7,000 more. It's all marketing and to the average BMW buyer it's all about cosmetic and having a higher level trim. The average consumer do not use the full potential of the 335i and the 335is is a waste if you don't plan on tracking your car. Upgraded and additional cooling is to prevent the car from overheating on the race track, which the 335i is known for. Upgraded engine mounts are designed to reduce vibration and increase stiffness during high G's.

Regarding the inside-line review, it's no surprise because BMW's intent was to make a track ready 335i, not something that would gain much in a straight line. The 335is is 11 lbs heavier than a 335i. With 20hp more when translated to whp, it's probably in single digits while pulling some additional weight. You should see minimal gains in that area. You will see varying numbers from various car mag reviews, but it all depends on humidity, temperature, tire pressure, fuel amt, and tail or head wind. If the car is in the 5.0 sec range, you can do +/- x/10th of sec higher or lower based on various factors.

The 335is is a nice car and if I were to get a 335, I probably would opt for the 335is over the i just because of the body kit, wheels, and the option of getting DCT. So mostly cosmetic.

I agree with what you say regarding the profit margins that BMW is squeezing out of this model....as somebody who has owned a 335i for 2 years, and recetly has picked up a 335is bc I wrote off the 335i and upgraded to the 335is for the exact same lease price....I can say first hand the the 335is is MUCH more quick, torquier, and gruntier than the 335i. To me the extra few bucks is worth the price of the power increase, and the fuel efficiency still makes it attractive enough if you find it a bit out of reach to pay that extra $10k to get an M3
Appreciate 0