05-04-2007, 05:07 AM   #18
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACA335i View Post
If you want to race your car for 1/4 or 1/8 mile you want torque. If you want to cruise or do track or circus, you want HP. Torque = quick launch. HP = Long Drive endurance. anyone wanna make a comment on that?
There is an element of truth to this, but it is an oversimplification.

Torque is the rotational force which turns the wheels. Acceleration is greatest when wheel torque is greatest.

Horsepower is a function of torque which takes into account time .. in engines time = rpm. So HP is a measure of torque and the rpm at which it occurs.

If a vehicle has high HP and low torque it is likely to have a relatively high revving engine. These sort of cars need to be worked hard to ensure that the engine stays in the powerband.

Cars with high torque and low hp are likely to be powerful low revving engines, like diesels and old v8's.

To consider 1/4 mile performance you have to look at gearing. Strong levels of torque at high rpm (i.e. high horsepower) are seriously useful because this torque can be geared down and effectively multiplied to produce LOT's of wheel torque in low gears.

Your statement would probably be true of a vehicle with only one gear. However it would not apply as a rule of thumb to a vehicle with gears.
Appreciate 0