timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdorn
No, if you can prove that he knew it was untrue and lied intentionally with the intent to deceive when he said it, it wouldn't matter if he added the words "I don't think" at the beginning. I don't believe you can prove all three of the following:

1. That the statement was untrue.
2. That he knew at the time he made the statement that it was untrue, and actually realized that he was making an untrue statement.
3. He intended to deceive people with the statement.

.... I did pick out the part about the first plane hitting the tower on 9/11. The quote you gave said that he saw an airplane hit the first tower on the television. If there was no actual footage of a plane hitting the first tower until after a plane had hit the second tower, he obviously meant that he saw that a plane had hit the first tower on television.
So now you're using the "insanity" argument? I can't prove exactly what he's thinking at the time of the action, so I can't say he lied. It was temporary insanity??!! Temporary lapse of judgement... I don't need to prove any of that, all I need is to know that he had the knowledge prior to the statement being made, and he said something that's not in line with what he knows. It's a lie no matter how deep you want to analyze it.

Well, Jordan (ph), you're not going to believe what state I was in when I heard about the terrorist attack. I was in Florida. And my chief of staff, Andy Card -- actually I was in a classroom talking about a reading program that works. And I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower -- the TV was obviously on, and I use to fly myself, and I said, "There's one terrible pilot." And I said, "It must have been a horrible accident."

He was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in (this meant it was before the 2nd plane hit), and he saw an airplane hit the tower. As the article said, there were no footage of the 1st plane hitting PRIOR to the 2nd plane hitting the tower. He then said to himself, "'There's one terrible pilot.' And I said, 'It must have been a horrible accident.'" By the time he saw ANY footage and he already knew it was not just a horrible accident.