Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
FBI,

This is awesome indeed! Impressive review as usual! A few notes:

* I am surprised that STETT did a completely new bracket for the oil filter housing. They could have simply use the two bolts on top of the oil filter housing.

* Having a larger oil cooler also increases the total capacity of the oil system. More oil capacity means that it will take longer for the oil to get contaminated and beaten up from the normal driving.

* The larger oil cooler core is great for shedding temperatures quickly, but in my opinion, it is the thermostat that has the biggest effect on the oil temperature. I strongly believe that with a 180F degree thermostat, the stock oil cooler will perform close to what you are seeing. It won't be able to shed the temps as quickly as the STETT one, but the overall temps will be the same or close to it.

* I wonder how the lower oil temps will affect the engine efficiency. If I am not mistaken, our engines are designed to achieve maximum efficiency at over 200F.

Do you know if the stock thermostat can be replaced without having to purchase an aftermarket oil cooler?