View Single Post
      04-16-2007, 11:09 AM   #11
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet3 View Post
I ended up using a Orange pad. Maybe 10lbs of pressure speed 4 on the porter cable.I followed with a pass with a white pad speed 6. I overlapped passes in each direction. I have some marks on the rear deck lid around the license plate where I can't get the machine. I have read good things about
the Moose glaze and poor boys. I figure I like to try that.
I think you'd have good results with those products as well.

Back to the polishing... you may want to consider finishing with a black pad (I'm assuming you're referring to the Lake Country Pads when you are referencing the colors). The finer and softer the pad you finish with, the better the chance you will rid micro-marring.

This is the way I operate the PC when correcting imperfections:

I'll apply a thin ring of product around the outside of the pad. Smear the product around in the working area (start small until you feel comfortable with the results you are getting), so say 1' x 1' or 18" x 18" areas. Spread the product using speed setting 3 or so to evenly distribute the product over the working area. Then I'll kick the buffer up to speed setting 5 and begin in one corner (say the top left) and work left to right using some pressure (5 - 10lbs on top of the weight of the buffer, if it bogs down its too much pressure). I move the buffer at no faster than 2" per second. As you reach the end of the boxed in area, work the buffer down about 3 inches so and proceed to perform the same pattern now working right to left. You should be overlapping your last pass by at least 50%. Continue the same pattern until the entire box has been worked left to right, then proceed to do the same technique now going top to bottom. This gives you 4 passes with the buffer over each area working at a slow and steady pace with some medium pressure. I'll give a final set of passes with just the weight of the buffer moving at the same slow speed. Once completed turn off the buffer, and remove with a clean microfiber towel.

This is the technique I use when working in a polish designed for paint correction. For sealants I usually just look for even coverage and do not make as many passes with the buffer as I mentioned above.

Hope this helps, let me know if there is anything else I can give you a hand with.

George
Appreciate 0