View Single Post
      10-08-2013, 12:20 AM   #436
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Well as I had mentioned previously I had removed my exhaust clamps for a cleaner look and i reckon it has helped me fool myfriendly local rego inspector!

The normal guy i use was booked out all week (who simply does a brake check, indicator and headlight check and bam you're done) and I couldn't wait that long so I gambled with another workshop who is close by to where I work.

So during my lunchbreak (I work in an industrial/seedy part of town) I dropped in for the inspection and its obvious that he doesn't see too many bmw's as he had no idea how to start it or where to put the key fob and initially asked does this need an inspection as cars that are less than 3 years old dont need an inspection. I explained that my car was almost 7 years old, and then he continued on that his mate imports mercs bmw from the uk and sells them.

We went through the light check all good, then he drives off to do a brake test comes back pops the hood looks around then calls over his offsider. They both start pointing to an area in the engine bay that im guessing is where the intake & BOV is and started expecting the worst (removing the CP to place the oem item in to pass rego then have to re-install the CP). They then put the car up onto the hoist and im thinking oh c'mon give me a break, and they immediately start scrutinising the mufflers brakes and entire driveline. I'm thinking yeah the bastards are going to fail me because i have a few illegal 'mods'.

He then walks over and says is this thing turboed did you get the turbo kit from the UK as i can see a badge on the mufflers that says bmw uk (referring to the bmw performance uk plaque)

I had to laugh and said no mate she's all factory standard and i sthe 'top of the line' 3 series and he then responds with ahh yeah that explains why it looks so neat all that black plastic piping on the intake pipe and filters looks very neat (referring to the active autowerke charge pipe and AFE intake) we thought it must be like a HSV type BMW? (Guess it pays to choose black oem stealthy style mods to beat the rego check nazi's)

Car modifyer +1 rego nazi's 0
Appreciate 0