View Single Post
      10-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #129
bolind
Registered
Rep
Drives: It's red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phozenstone View Post
The female connectors - make sure you buy 2-3 extra of each one because they are so small and delicate that i broke a few in the process. BMW also doesn't stock them so it was a pain to have to wait for them to come in (usually 2-3 days).
Gotcha. I might as well order them online then. They cost peanuts, so I'll just grab a handful.

Quote:
1) Add a power wire by connecting one end to the female connector that goes into the harness and the other end should be tapped into the fuse box behind the glove compartment (30A fuse).
OK, do I need to establish a new seperate fuse? Bear in mind, I don't have heated seats or anything right now. Or do I just grab whatever 30A fuse there is?

Quote:
2) Add a ground wire by connecting one end to a female connector that goes into the harness and add a ring terminal to the other end which will be used to mount into the same hole as the seat.
Is this the official way for the ground? Wouldn't it be more proper to route it back to the fusebox as well?

Quote:
3) If you have power bolsters like mine, you will need to add a splitter into each of the above wires and also route them into the car's harness (e.g. you will have 2 power female connectors and 2 ground female connectors now in your harness instead of just one of each)
I have power bolsters. So it's cool to run bolsters and servos off the same 30A fuse/power cable?

Quote:
4) Now you need to add kcanbus wiring to your car's harness. I found that the easiest way to do this was using 14 guage speaker wire as it already has positive/negative on it. Follow the wiring diagram and wire one wire into each terminal using the BMW female connectors; the other end will have to connect to anywhere that you can easily locate with kcan wiring (i believe it was green and green/orange). I found it right near the same fuse box i used for the power wire. Simply tap into that wiring and you're good to go!
I'm with you on the CAN wiring, but my passenger seat needs a PWM'ed power feed for the heat. How does this connect at the other end (some junction box?)

Quote:
5) Have a beer and celebrate cuz you now have powered seats! You'll also realize how happy you are with using oem bmw harnesses instead of some other members who hardwired it because now you can swap other seats if you get bored with the existing seats and you don't have to redo all the wiring.
Agreed, although these seats are probably going to stay in this car, I want to do this right the first time around.

Thanks for your answers! I would really like to tear into this as prepared as possible, as the car can't be off the road for too many days in a row.
Appreciate 0