02-14-2013, 05:30 AM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoGood View Post
Okay i think i reset it, should it say 29,000 till next oil service?
29,000 seems about twice as much as it should be. I've seen my car state as high as 19,000, but my OCIs average around 17.5K. It looks like you reset the system when it already said 21,000 (i.e. it had already been reset), so you've probably confused the logic built into the CBS.

I wouldn't worry about it. It's really just a fancy clock in some respects. What the system really does is use a math formula and several different data to determine when the next oil service is due. What resetting the CBS does is just tell the computer at what mileage the oil was changed. By mileage it means the actual total miles on the car as displayed by the odometer. The CBS will then use the parameters it is designed to monitor, such as miles driven, cold starts, engine temperature profile, and an electrical measurement of the cleanliness of the oil to determine when the next oil change is due. The mileage interval for the next oil change is just an estimate the computer determines based on the past oil change intervals; but it is just an estimate and will adjust downward over time as the system collects the data mentioned above, measures the oil contamination level, and does the calculations.

Just leave it alone for now. Besides, you one of the owners that does not pay attention the oil life monitor in the CBS and the BMW schedule OCI, so why do you care anyway? If you are going to change the oil every 7,500 miles like some people do, then just write down the mileage when the oil was changed and add 7,500 miles to it so you know when to have the oil changed next time (that’s call old school – actually writing down something on a piece of paper and keeping the paper so you don’t have to try and remember what you wrote down).

You are having trouble with this because you are not using the system the for the purpose it was engineered. The oil life monitor in the CBS is meant to be used as it was indented, which means to change the oil when it indicates to do so. If you don’t believe in it, or trust BMWs judgment on when the oil should be changed in the engines it has designed, engineered, and tested, then don’t use the CBS oil life monitor system and just go old school and keep track of when to change the oil by a predetermined mileage. I’m sure there is a phone app for it…
Appreciate 0