05-26-2009, 02:48 AM   #14
clark192
Second Lieutenant
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i (EU)

Quote:
Originally Posted by in5ane_3 View Post
I got this from a this site, http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...bmw_trans.html.

"I own a BMW 323CI and have kept it in phenomenal condition for 9 years,i have brought the car for every scheduled maintance and for a 9 year old car it only has 39,400 miles. Yesterday i went to back out of a parking space in reverse and the car would not engage.It will go forward in drive but not reverse. I took the car to the same dealership where i purchased and had all scheduled maintenances and John in customer service called me to notify me that the car needed a new transmission and that the cost would be about $6,400"

I don't know how true that can be.
I remember reading about this phenomenon. The old Auto trannys they used on the E39 and E46 were prone to having reverse fail. They say the symptoms to that is a lot of lag between selecting R and it actually engaging. I guess it depends tho, since my father's E39 has had that issue for the past year considering how it was driven I am suprised that R has not gone yet. He likes to pop the car into reverse before it stopped moving backwards...
Appreciate 0