03-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #97
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
Both N54s when I got them stock made no noise. My 335i is an interesting case because I bought the car CPO with 11k miles. That car had plenty of miles on it before I got it and still had no turbo siren. When I went FBO + meth overnight, within a week it made this siren noise. I think increased boost has much to do with it. I wouldn't say it's worth worrying over though, i've seen people run for a very long time with this noise.
My turbo's in the video I posted above were extremely loud. That was fully warmed up, probably sounded 2x as loud in person than this low quality cell video. People would ask me "what is that noise" when I would pull away from stoplights. The turbo's were babied when oil was cold, allowed ample time to cool down, as well as were never spun over map 1's boost levels. When the snails were pulled and replaced, there was absolutely nothing wrong with them. No shaft play, spun freely, no signs of housing contact. What to make of it? I don't know. There appeared to be no issues though, and I hit my boost targets just fine.

I've been FBO for about a month on a new set of snails. They have around 500 miles as of right now. Done several WOT pulls and datalogs, no siren.
Appreciate 0