DJtoad
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 535i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick F. View Post
NGEE,

I'm really glad you enjoyed the trip report! I hope your kids like it, too. (Maybe take them on a home-school field trip to Washington's Crossing sometime?)

I "found all that" on the first try with my new 335i, but I've been doing BMW tours since 2004, first with an F650CS motorcycle, then an R1200GS bike, and then a 2006 Z4 3.0i. Having a bike or a convertible helps you spot a lot more interesting things as you're driving along, as a result of the better field of vision.

I see you're from Burkittsville, MD. I grew up in Frederick and then Braddock Heights, and I motorcycled all around the Middletown Valley area as a teenager. I remember how excited I was to "discover" George Alfred Townsend's monument to war correspondents at Gapland.

On another occasion, I found the Reno Monument on South Mountain and rode up the narrow, winding road to the fire tower at Lamb's Knoll--and the secret government installation that, back then, was an ICBM missile launch site. I used that road as the setting for a fiction short story that I wrote for Road & Track magazine, which later inspired Neil Peart to write "Red Barchetta" for Rush's Moving Pictures album. (The whole story is available at The Drummer, the Private Eye, and Me, in case you're interested in learning more.

Thanks again!

Rick
Really enjoyed the post, Rick! But the Neil Peart story is simply AWESOME. My son's an avid drummer and huge Neil Peart fan. I just sent him a link to your 2007 "The Drummer, the Private Eye, and Me" post. Pretty cool that a "local" inspired my favorite Rush song.