View Single Post
      11-21-2012, 09:27 PM   #4
robc1976
DIYER
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargasturbotech View Post
Known issue with the rear tube on any stock housing turbos. I had it happen to me on my first set of test turbos, we made an aluminum bracket that goes onto the top motor mount bolt and holds the pipe on 100%, no questions no guessing. Every set of turbos we will be shipping will get one. Whatever you do make sure you get it on, because if it pops off you will suck something into the turbo. A couple cars we swapped turbos on had a piece of wedge shape plastic stuck behind the pipe against the firewall, it seems to hold it on pretty well if you have nothing else. Just use a big pry bar and hold the tube on and wedge the piece between it and the firewall and tap it in a bit with a hammer to make sure it wont fall out. Besides making a bracket this is all I can offer in a way of making sure you don't ruin your new turbos with something sucked out of the engine bay.
Well I figured out why the induction tube did not fit....I installed the gasket on the turbo 1st...induction tube pinched the gasket, it deformed and tube could not be put on. I did not notice this because my hands could not fit back there (it actually felt like it was bound )...I found out because my AEWESOME wife (who has actually helped with this install) saw this...Ii wasted 6 ours on a damn gasket LOL!!

NEVER put the gasket on the turbo...install it in the tube first!

I also bent the bracket so it can not slide off...it need reinforcment, so the bracket sits behind the tube falnge...great idea!
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0