View Single Post
      10-08-2012, 01:46 AM   #12
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

You could sum up the differences by saying that the strengths of one are the weaknesses of the other.

All aspects of handling, high rev performance, sharp 'on your toes' responses, steering feedback, rear end grip (diff), exhaust note, on-limit behaviour, turn-in, driver orientation and balance (performance/handling ability) are all outstanding on the M3

Comfort, low down torque, long distance cruising ability, relaxed effortless performance, are all areas where the 335i excels.

In the end it depends on your driving orientation. If comfortable long trips and around town effortless performance are your main priorities, then the 335i is unbeatable and an M3 will feel rather hard edged and unforgiving in comparison.

If Sunday morning back roads and the pure thrill of driving is where your heart lies, the 335i will feel rather soft and imprecise.

Personally what I'm waiting for is a tri-turbo diesel with 380hp, 500+ nm, M3 programmable suspension, M-diff (or iX) and performance brakes. I'd be able to dial in comfort or sport ride, have massive punch around town and on back roads, the ability to haul it back down quickly, low rev cruising ability and great economy. It would lack the M's thrilling exhaust and would feel slightly heavier but for today's situation I think it would make the ideal compromise and feel a LOT faster than even an E9x M3
Appreciate 0