djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
Dave. Over the years I've found powerful engined cars with manual gearboxes to disappoint.

R32
Cayman S
135i although not too bad after a short shifter was fitted.

E92 M3 horrible 1st to 2nd change, well documented on M3 forums.

I just wouldn't take the change again. too much displeasure at stake. I found myself tuning into the problem and not enjoying the drive.
I would say I agree with you. I have a 335i Manual, and it is very engaging to drive. It wasn't a preference though, I bought it because the price was right, but I do feel an Auto especially the DCT would suit the car better. The auto has shorter 1st and 2nd gears, and more importantly a much longer 6th reducing motorway revs by around 10%.

Shifting down into 1st is the biggest pain on the manual, say when approaching a slowish roundabout where you might need that bit of extra power. You have to blip the throttle to ~3k revs else you're going to be juddering all over the place when the clutch engages. On the plus side you can get to ~70mph in 2nd!

I think there is a reason yanks have driven autos for so long, they have a history of large engined cars, even for a "run around". Manuals just don't feel right with so much torque imo.
Appreciate 0