View Single Post
      05-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #36
surfcity335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Coupe E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip4335 View Post
Man, I musta been drunk when I sent that to you. I stand corrected and apologize for anything I said that was factually inaccurate.

So, when the speedo reads 60 mph for the taller tire at the same rpms as the smaller tire, the car would actually be moving at a slower pace, because the damn tire is taller and has longer to go to make one revolution as opposed to the smaller tire.
I think you still have it wrong. In the first sentence of your first post you had it right.

Assume that the rate at which the axle is spinning is the same for both tires (and therefore the speedo reads the same for both because its readout is dictated by wheel speed based upon an assumption of stock setup and not distance traveled). The taller tire will be traveling a further distance per revolution of the axle, right? Therefore, more miles per hour? Someone please come in here and rescue us with some logic. Unless flip4335 has it right and I just can't get my head around it.

Conclusion: The Tire Rack Calcualtor is worded wrong and should say: When Speedo Says 60mph, Actual Speed Will Be _______.

Last edited by surfcity335i; 05-20-2013 at 03:13 PM..
Appreciate 0