04-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #185
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpb View Post
Or one *could* choose a wife who knows how to drive MT vehicles. Just sayin...
LOL working on getting the wifey to learn to drive one of my other cars... i think she did well for learning to drive on her first car ever on a FBO 335xi, originally i tried to teach her on my 5-speed manual truck... but that was too hard to learn both driving and stick shift at the same time. Now after 1 year under her belt... I think she can try the 5-speed stick on weekends. Then need to teach her rev matching and how to shift with no clutch

Quote:
That's workable in light traffic. Once it gets heavy in ATL any gap you leave will be filled by cars from lanes to either side, forcing you to still come to a stop.

(BTW if you're keeping your foot on the brake in an Auto at all times, you're doing it wrong)
I hear ya, didn't mean to imply riding the brakes, but if you have every been on the 101 freeway in SoCal or the 405 freeway in SoCal, you know what I mean about slow traffic. If the cars in front of you move up at a slow rate which is not fast enough for idle rolling speed in an automatic... then you need to ride the brakes. Which is not an issue in a manual because I can control the push off speed/rate and just let it roll in neutral after that.

Same with spacing in traffic, your right, you need to keep enough staggered space so people can't cut in... but at the same time so you can keep rolling without the stop/go effect. I've got about 750k miles in my life of SoCal traffic
Appreciate 0