View Single Post
      10-31-2011, 12:48 AM   #1
whmacs
Rep
Drives: E92 325i 6MT

Purchase advice on a 320d manual Coupe

Hi All,
After encouraging my son (I’m 46) to buy an older BMW (1998 318i 5 speed manual) as his first car, I’ve caught the bug and would like to get a BMW myself. Compared to my current model 2.4l automatic Honda Accord, his car is alot of fun to drive! Up until I purchased the Accord, I had always driven a manual. The automatic transmission in the Honda seems to remove all that fun (even with it’s ‘manual’ mode and gear paddles on the steering wheel ).

I’m looking at a used / demonstrator 2010-2011 (MY10.5 - MY11) 320d Coupe. There are a number available, however they are all automatic. I’m torn between an automatic and manual. Test driving an automatic 320d is no issue, but test driving a manual may well be.

I would really appreciate some advice on a manual 320d vs an automatic. The main reason to purchase the coupe is to put a bit of fun back into driving. My current limited thinking = manual.

While my dear wife is tentatively ok with my minor mid-life crisis, cost however may become a factor if the only way to get a manual is to order a new 320d Coupe. Budget wise I’m looking at < $70k. A new order may put a new manual out of my price range. If a manual is a better option, I could hold off awhile until funds allow a new purchase. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Stephen
Appreciate 0