View Single Post
      05-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #48
Dinh335
Major
Rep
Drives: 2004 RX8/2015 M3/2017 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverDriven View Post
I've never owned an RX8 (and wouldn't) but I have owned 2 RX7 turbos and rebuilt and modded the engines in both by myself. Rotaries are very cool and an ingenious design in many ways, but if you're going to act like they're not temperamental, unreliable engines then you're crazy. IMO rotaries are great for enthusiasts, but they're a terrible choice for a daily driving road car.
you're entitled to your opinion. i daily drove mine for 9 years and over 100K miles, had a baby, slapped a car seat in it, still daily drove it and I'm hardly a rotary mechanic but do like cars. I just followed the owners manual that said check your oil dipstick every three weeks. The car is still running strong. Why am I crazy? Were' talking about an Rx8, and you stated you haven't owned one, so those reading can take your opinion as they wish.

There's bad reps on the rotary because tons of internet guys who tried to boost their rx7s and blew their motors say the rotary is unreliable. (not you in particular, but tons of guys mod the FD).

The FD Rx7s were not nearly as reliable as Rx8s, which is the car the OP is mentioning. I would not advise him to get a twin turbo FD rx-7.

Last edited by Dinh335; 05-12-2013 at 01:21 PM..
Appreciate 0