Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
I have that ticking noise on start up and idle. But never when in gear. I push my car quite hard and its already 8 months into ownsership. The ticking noise is most apparent on cold starts. But once in D, its never there. Well at least for me. I aint have no DPs as well for now.

Just to make sure everyone knows, it is normal for our cars to "tick" and it is especially loud at could start up or with the hood up and standing in front of the car since you will her the DIer's clicking. I am not suggesting that is what you are hearing elmariachi but there was a post by someone a page back or so that sounded like what he was describing was the normal DI clicking sound.

But anyway, if the clicking from the wastegates is only present when the car is not in gear then that kind of blows the whole "clicking from loose wastegate actuator rod" theory doesn't it?

Mr 5 how about a video of your car idling in P then place it in D and lets see if the sound changes. BMW says the sound is from the flap not seating completely and that sounds very likely to me from listening to the cars with this problem, but it is still a little confusing as to why it doesn't make the sound when actually driving the car (if it in fact doesn't). The only thing I can think of is that under load there is enough pressure inside exhaust side of the turbo to force the flap tight so even though the rod isn't able to pull it shut tight on its own it doesn't matter when it is being slammed shut when it is in the closed position.
Appreciate 0