View Single Post
      09-04-2007, 10:24 PM   #251
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by My1stbimmer View Post
Hello george and to all the guys at Detailed image. This thread has provided so much valuable information and made me realize how much of a newb to washing not even detailing just washing a car. I have a sapphire blacke90 and we all know about the extra care of black. My question for george is I purchased some similar products micro fiber towels waffel weave drying towels and how do you wash them to keep them from redepositing the dirt you removed, and what are some suggestions to keep the black looking showroom black? Thanks for all your help!
For microfiber care, here is a great article covering the best ways to maximize your microfiber towels. If you follow those tips, you'll get the most life out of your towels as well as keeping them paint safe as long as possible.

For keeping black looking showroom black, the best thing you can do is really focus on the proper washing and drying techniques. The largest factor that takes away from black or other dark colored vehicles is swirls and other imperfections in the clear coat. Washing and drying incorrectly results in 70% or more of imperfections in the clear coat, so it's important to focus your attention on making your wash routine as paint safe as possible.

If you already have imperfections, then polishing your clear coat is going to have the biggest impact on the depth and gloss of your paint. Once you correct the imperfections, you'll want to protect your paint with a durable sealant and / or wax. This will help enhance the depth and gloss of the paint, while adding a layer of protection from the elements.

If you need a hand selecting any products, let me know and I'd be happy to give my recommendations for black sapphire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife View Post
George:

Regarding an initial order, please see my previous post from today regarding how much I will be driving the car (when I get it) and the local weather conditions here. As far as detailing and car washings, I plan to follow all I have read (2 full details a year, and car washes every 10 days or so).

Assume I am starting out with nothing (except pails). Since either my wife or I are in NY at least once a year, I probably need to order only 1 year of supplies at a time (trust me when I tell u that my wife is not that happy about bringing this stuff back in her checked luggage). I hope (and assume) that most of your products are not flameable and can be packed into checked airline luggage.

The following is my slightly well read (your thread) but inexperienced guess for general supplies needed:

for regular detailing and Maintenance:

Washing & Drying
a/ a good car wash. Since this item may be the bulkest / heavest for airplane luggage, please recommend what u carry, and also recommend what good over the counter brand a developing country like ecuador may have. My guess is that this may be the only product I may try to buy locally (only because of the possible bulk and weight).

b/ towels and mitts for car washing and drying

Clay Bar – since my car is new, I am guessing one of the more milder ones.
May need something to spray onto clay for easier use.

Compounding (nothing needed at this time). Correct me if I am wrong.
Polishing – (nothing needed at this time). Correct me if I am wrong.
Finishing Polishes - (nothing needed at this time). Correct me if I am wrong.

All In One Products – Would need some AIO – please recommend a product. Also kindly advise if I were to do the cleaning and polishing in 2 separate steps, which products I would use. Is there really that big a difference that it is worth doing these steps separately?? (I am slightly lazy)

Glazes – (nothing needed at this time). Correct me if I am wrong.

Sealants – Obviously, this is one of the most important steps. Want a very good product for protection. Also need the proper applicators (if original product applicator is not good) and MF towels for this job. How is this “full metal jacket” stuff ??

Waxes – a good carnuba wax (unless your recommended sealant does not need it). Also need the MF towels for this job.

Spray on Protectants – I love the idea of washing the car and then spraying on extra protection / shine over the car’s detailing and wax. Also need the MF towels for this job.

Quick Detailers – please recommend something. Also need the MF towels for this job.

CAR INTERIOR: I am interested products for carpet, aluminum trim, and especially the new 335 dakota leather: need cleaners and protectants (I will probably use some old 100% high quality T shirts for these jobs).

Tires: I guess I can use the local Armour All cleaners and protectant, but not that happy about such a super shiny look on tires. Any suggestions?
RIMS: Would prefer big bang for less work (I do not see myself claying, polishing, then sealing the rims). Any suggestions?

Rubber moldings: I do not have the car yet, but I assume the folding convertible hardtop has some sort of rubber moldings in and around it. Can u advise something that will be appropriate for cleaning and keeping these moldings mist so they do not sqeak?

If I left anything important out, please advise.
You can PM me with prices and weights. Note that u would be sending my stuff UPS to NY zipcode 10019.

Thanks in advance, I look forward to hearing your suggestions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife View Post
george:

regarding my above post for initial order:

i have been told that the 7,000 feet altitude here magnifies the sun's UV rays 18 times stronger than at sea level.

for this reason, please b sure to advise the strongest sealant for car's exterior paint, and also best "selant" for car's black dakota interior (my car is a convertible.thanks,

i assume any interior car selant will not mess with the dakota leather's specially treated interiors which reduces by about 35 degrees the seat leather temperature.
PM coming right after this post. Thank you for the detailed information on your needs and objectives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I got one of those powerball mini units from Costco (figured I couldn't make it much worse) and did a number on the larger surfaces of my bike. Is that P21 finish restorer in Wheel and Tire #7 something that can be applied with a powerball? If I get the refills, can I use one for P21 and one for the wheel sealant?
I don't see why it would be a problem using the P21s Finish Restorer with the Powerball, however, the FR isn't a product that spreads that easily, so I have a feeling you'd be wasting a lot of product. Unfortunately, I can't think of a metal polish we carry that would be ideal for use with the Powerball. Wheel Sealant spreads much further than the Finish Restorer, so this product could probably be applied w/ the Powerball on a clean surface. I'd try to dig up what other detailers are using with the Powerball to get the best results.

George
Appreciate 0