10-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #34
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodtoGo View Post
Not sure where you are going with this. Car had about 45K miles when this test was done. I understand the comment about a single pass, but this is a good datapoint indicating levels of engine wear during the period that this particular oil was used. Engines continue to wear somewhat linearly after a more rapid initial break in for the first several thousand miles. N54 engines are fully broken in by the first scheduled factory oil change at 15 to 16K miles. I would say that almost every N54 engine in the BS database is fully broken in, and my result IS better than the Blackstone universal average. Furthermore, my UOA was done at a longer OCI than the average of their database. This would DEFINITELY suggest that T6 is better than what most are using (Blackstone sample size).
I just read their comments again and noticed they said universal avg at 5900 miles. So from that perspective the numbers are "better" when compared to their data set.
What I always wonder is if BMW official wear limit is 55 ppm for say Aluminum does it matter if one sample is 17 vs. 30 or if they're within the standard deviation for the engine family? The unfortunate thing about UOA is that we never know the OEM wear limits and they capture particles of X-size depending on the lab.

Here's a good link regarding the interpretation of a UOA. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/used-o...hat-is-normal/

Last edited by F32Fleet; 10-11-2013 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 0