View Single Post
      11-11-2012, 06:29 PM   #32
MyF15+F85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F85 and 2015 F15

135 to 335 brake upgrade

I have read " quiclky " what you guys have written here, and here's what I have to say.
I recently bought a 335i ( 2011 not like it makes a difference ) but before I bought it I have driven a feeeew different BMW products, so I just might have something to say about THIS topic.
After driving 135i with all of the options ( 6 speed manual ), I have felt like race car driver, easy to accelerate, but the BRAKES were a killer, I could literally feel my eyeballs pop out at a full brake test. ( even the M5 that I drove was not what I was expecting in comparison ) Now, I know that the car is lighter, therefore it is much easier to stop EVEN with less aggressive pads ( coefficient of friction ) Engineers at BMW spend hefty amount of research in order to provide a customer with a devilish toy ( 135i ),
335i even though it has a larger rotor ( which is made for a better heat dissipation since the car is heavier than E8X )
When I got my 335i I must say it was a bit disappointed with the brakes, but I new that sooner rather than later I will upgrade the brakes anyway, so I started to search the net. The easiest choice for me was the six piston from the 135i ( since I new the responsiveness of the car braking system )
but ..... the problem that I have is that the 135i calipers are RADIAL mount and ours E92 is a regular set up from the back of the spindle ( hub ) regular style if you will.
We can all go into a heated discussion of the surface of the pad, rotor weight, thickness, offset, diameter, and so on. YES there is a lot of issues and reverse engineering that goes into this project.
I was just wondering if the is a side to radial mounting bracket that someone already figured out. I would gladly buy it for as long that I would get a rotor, from a 535, since it has an aluminum hat ( center piece ) which reduces rotating mass and unsprang weight .... but that is just me.

So in summary I know for a fact that the 135 calipers will NOT bolt up to our E9X cars... I want to see what else comes out of this tread...
Appreciate 0