View Single Post
      06-27-2011, 09:51 AM   #1
ddc9999
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

RWD + Snow Tires - City Parking Problems?

Hello All. I know the whole RWD + Snow tire or xdrive all seasons topic has been beat to death. There is one aspect of this topic that I haven't been able to find any info.

I don't doubt that a rwd beemer with snow tires can safely drive in the snow and slush. I've read it on many posts, and I've seen the you tube videos. What worries me though is how does this combination due with regards to trying to get moving from a stop?

I live in the NYC area, and when it snows here a lot of parking spots can be difficult to get in and out due to the spots being guarded by a snow mound. I'm sure many people who live in urban enviorments who lack a nicely shoveled garage can testify to this. This snow tends to stay on the ground until it melts too. So while I don't doubt a RWD + Snow tire combo once you get your car rolling on the streets, I do hesitate at the thought of constitantly spinning my tires as I get stuck in snow trying to get in and out of parking spots. This also involves parallel parking which is much harder to do then just getting a stuck car moving in an empty parking lot.

So what do you all think? RWD + Snow tires = City Parking Hell? Am I better off just going with the xdrive? My gf has a 325xi and her car does wonders getting in and out of said snowed in spots, but I would prefer a RWD car if I could get away with it.

Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0