View Single Post
      10-06-2010, 04:16 PM   #10
3X3=5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in a lot of traffic

Here's the DIY for opening headlights, HOWEVER IT IS NOT FOR CARS WITH ANGEL EYES! As I found out unclipping them is a critical step before you remove the lens. This is done by removing the housing cover for the angel bulb, removing the bulb and simply unclip the little tab inside (small tab on the acrylic angel eye stem clips into the housing). If this isn't done, the angel eye ring is attached to both the housing and the lens - when you pull them apart the rings break.

Also, this DIY he suggests prying the headlight open from one side. If you have angels YOU CANNOT DO THIS or it will also break them. The stems which pick up the light from the bulb run straight back - the lens must be pulled straight forward to avoid bending/breaking.

I would also note that it worked best to heat up about 4-5" at a time, then gently work a flat headed screwdriver under the black part at an angle almost parallel to the lens. I started prying perpendicular to the lens but that damaged the housing more. On that note, be careful not to destroy the groove that the lens slides into - with a sharp screwdriver and a heat gun it's easy to do.

For anyone thinking about doing this, think twice. It's a serious pain in the ass, risky and a screw up will cost you. I broke an angel eye and you can't replace it with OEM. I'm "forced" to upgrade to the Umnitza kit. Oh well, it's not so bad, but it's money and time (to send them the lights) I didn't plan on spending. I'd suggest just sending your lights to Marc (MDS82) or Umnitza and let the experts handle it.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...s+remove+amber
Appreciate 0