View Single Post
      03-20-2009, 04:10 PM   #73
kooper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 (I wish)

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Well Kooper, many a member here were up in arms at the thought of the next M3 being forced induction and guess what that is exactly what it will be getting. The simple truth is that BMW will decide what is the best option open to them and if that happens to be a V6 then so be it.
Point taken. I think perhaps I didn't communicate my point of view as clearly as I could've: if they want to go V6 then so be it. If they do, I think a lot of their customers might not be too happy about it, at least the traditionalists (me included).

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie
P.S.
Ferrari makes V6s, V8s, V10s, V12s and a boxer 12 throughout it's history, the same for Porsche and numerous other brands, I bet if you looked through BMW's history you would be surprised at the different engines that have been used.
True, true. The impression I got is that on average the automotive populace thinks that of Ferrari's range of engines, their V12s are the gems, just like Porsche's flat 6 is the one to have in their range, likewise Subaru with their boxer 4. Doesn't mean they can't or don't produce different types of engines, but it's what they do best.

Just about Ferrari, they actually do not make production V10s. Don't think they ever have, but I could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie
I say hold judgement until firstly we know exactly what it is, including it's complete spec and more importantly either you get to read some reviews or better still sample it youself.
That's probably a valid point. Unfortunately I do not share your take on it. Let's imagine they do go V6, chances are it will turn out to be one heck of a car.
Even so, the fact that it doesn't have an inline 6 any more, the very thing that makes BMW's 6 cylinders as unique as they are, will be enough to turn me away, possible class-leading dynamics and performance notwithstanding.

A bit extreme? I suppose so, but that's just the way I see it.

In all honesty though it probably makes little difference what I think about it. The engine landscape is bound to change drastically sooner rather than later. This is just me bemoaning the quick pace of change more than anything else.

But enough of me moaning over what engine might or might not be used in the next M3, I'll just content myself with seeing how it unfolds before I start blasting again
Appreciate 0