antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazmonkee View Post
You guys need to think about the bigger picture. This is still a "new" old technology for Electric Cars, and for people to be able to charge their car wirelessly, in my opinion, is a vision of people never having to worry about charging their cars. Can you imagine if we had these wireless charging coils throughout our roads? Charging the car may become more efficient, and in turn, it may result in having cars constantly charging even while driving.

I think this is a fantastic and innovative idea. Based on how exponential our growth in technology is, I won't be surprised to see this in my lifetime.

You idea is flawed because the charging stations have to be stationary, but the cars are moving, not allowing them to sync up in time to transfer any power. Wireless transfer of power is much more challenging than wireless transfer of data - cell phones, and this is the reason many groups that have tried it have produced poor results. Can you imagine the motivation for accomplishing this task - financial jackpot.

I would be tempted to say the Siemens technology is a complete hoax, perhaps a publicity stunt on their and BMW's part, but I will reserve my full judgement until I hear more.

Long before discoveries like this are implemented in industry they are published in academia - and this technology is absent from the literature.
Appreciate 0