TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
Crashing a 458 - even a little bit -

My oil temps really were in the 190*F range on NJMP Thunderbolt, coolant in the 230 range (street). Normally oil temps are in the 230-240 range street. The oil cools better the faster you go with these cars (if you have the factory oil cooler - do you?).

Regarding the V12s - no experience with wet, all my track days have been fair weather. On the street I haven't noticed any irregularities in the rain.

Understeer is almost always driver error, the solution is simply slow down - reduce your corner entry speed (especially when it's wet). All factory road cars are built to understeer at the limit - ALL of them.

I'm at the point where the V12s are becoming a limiting factor on the track, I am yearning for more grip. They're a bit soft for what we are demanding out of them. My overall experience has been overwhelmingly positive howeve; great ride, they're inexpensive, and they communicate their grip on the track extremely well. I always know when they're approaching their limits.

Next set of tires for me is likely Michelin PSS. The 335 is just a heavy car, it asks a lot out of its tires (can't even imagine something like an Audi S4 - 4,000+ lb unloaded).
It's funny that you mentioned the Audi S4. My buddy Phil that I went to Lime Rock with has a 2011 S4. He has 3x the track experience as I do.
His S4 was so slow in the inter/advanced group that he got tired of watching his rear view mirrors and pointing people by that he asked to be moved down to the beginner group so he could at least enjoy himself (less cars on the track)!
I flew by him and quickly left him in the dust. MAJOR difference in speed. He had a lightly modified e46 330 before the S4. I'm pretty sure the S4 is slower than his old car.
Yes Charles, you were right, S4's are slow on the track.
Appreciate 0