Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
BMW Dealer wouldn't offer anything as they don't take salvage cars

I agree with the first bold..and really like that statement

But the second one is false (at least in CA)

If the price to repair a car is over 51%, the car is salvaged (frame damage no necessary)

So let's say they valued the car at $20k.... fender, bumper, hood, wheels, driver front suspension+brakes etc.... + labor/paint, yada yada yada... if that is all over 51%, they would salvage it.
This has been my experience with insurance companies and I do have family in the business.

And I disagree with the last bold.... BMW dealers don't do that great of a PPI... good independent shops are better. Last I checked, BMW Dealers don't do compression/leakdown tests etc etc. they look over the car for a little over an hour...

For $10k I'd buy it. Tear out the interior, install a full race cage, put some Motons on there, FMIC, DPs, JB4, etc etc etc, you get the idea :P
I guess we will have to agree to disagree...but glad that you like one of my thoughts!
Most insurance companies are much wiser than the average bear...since they are some of the richest companies in the world and they didn't get that way by accident...granted, you can always find a "good deal" on a salvaged title car, but if you take the numbers in aggregate, they are not good deals at all...insurance adjusters do look at many things before writing the car off...besides just the $$$ to fix it...and yes, the actual numbers do vary from 50-75%, but cars that they deem for certain reasons to be unsafe to repair are given that designation and sold off.
As for not going to BMW for a PPI, that hasn't been my experience and one of my best buddies has worked for BMW for over 20 years. Customers can order what level of PPI they wish, just have to pay more. The key point was for the buyer to spend the $$$ and get it inspected thoroughly by whomever, rather than buy it w/o a full inspection.
Finally, while you would spend the 10k and "tear out the interior...etc", I wouldn't spend a dime on that car...rather take the 10k and invest it in something else that when I was done with the car, wouldn't have to sit on it for quite sometime...as many have to do with salvaged title cars, irrespective of what's been done to the car IMHO :
Appreciate 0