ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: E91 330d XDrive LCI M Pack

[QUOTE=Chappers 71;22316278]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChawenHalo View Post

I've known my Indy for 20 years, if he says this sometimes happens under hard load when the car is low on fuel I will take him at his word until the same fault occurs when I've got plenty of fuel in it.
Sorry, for some reason the website did not register my (abusive? ) post.

He's not wrong but stuff does not "just sometimes happen" like that. IMHO, its just impossible.
1. I've ran BMW's at 0 fuel gauge plenty of times (E39 535i, E39 540ai, E90 330d, Z3 Coupe 2.8, S54) drive me wife mad
2. Cars simply are not manufactured that way. Imagine all the cars running low on fuel going on limp mode on the motorway?!
3. From memory E90 330i and 335i can suffer from fuel pump issues and HPFP issues.
4. He's giving you the symptom not the underlying issue. If DME is getting the message that not enough fuel will be supplied, it will protect the engine and indeed go into "limp home" mode.
5. No garage, no matter how experienced, trustworthy, friendly and how long we've used them can be 100% right 100% of the time. That's normal.
6. Codes don't necessarily register on DDE if fault is temporary even sometimes if reoccurring.

My money would be on a fuel pump and sender failure. Remember that in mechanic failures are not often immediate but rather progressive, its just sometimes we cannot detect the warning signs.

Its no big deal, pumps can fail for all sort of reasons.

Regarding the first OP, that sounds like the kind of nonsense garages will give you if they don't want to warrant their previous work.

Last edited by ChawenHalo; 10-18-2017 at 05:00 AM..
Appreciate 1