View Single Post
      04-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #14
The Morkinator
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: I walk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripple View Post
R&D of a intake manifold is beyond complicated. Flow testing and vibration are extremely complicated. You can't just slap a plenum with runners together and expect gains. The runners have to flow equally and be able to adjust to vibration in the air pattern. BMW has engineered the intake manifold VERY well and more than likely will not be out performed - until you start to port intake valves +1mm than we would likely see development on larger runner intake manifolds + TB's.

Until than, the R&D to out perform the OEM manifold is going to be put on the back burner as more than likely no one will be able to make something better.
I disagree. It's not very well designed. cylinder one is dented to allow room for the oil filter assembly, the plenum can be better engineered...smaller and tapered, and the TB should be as close to cylinder one and as close to 90 degrees from all cylinders. I modeled the stock manifold and we simulated it a few months ago, and compared it to how it should be designed we found that the stock Mahle manifold is good for stock turbo applications. However, it could be made better, gains could be made...theoretically.
Appreciate 0