01-16-2007, 08:21 AM   #95
Norsk
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jase700
Actually, I think you are slightly mistaken. I just came back from the Performance Driving school this weekend.

Pressing it quickly disables traction control, but stability control stays on. you will see the DTC light on your dash.
Pressing it and holding it will disable traction and stability and put a little hazard icon on your guages.

I learned the hard way on the skid pad.
Well as we got quite a bit of Snow here now , let me say that you've got it a little backwards.

DSC = Dynamic Stability Control --> Works to keep your car stable

When DSC is On (Default - No light in dashboard), DTC is also on, as it's a part of DSC. DSC uses many sensors and very computing to keep your car on the indented trajectory:
  • ABS
  • DTC
  • Throttle Control
  • Yaw Angle
  • Steering wheel angle
  • CBC (Cornering Brake Control)

I tested it Driving on a snow covered wide space (little bit icy under snow), and did a quick turn @ 45Km/h, DCS intervened and cut throttle (even as I was pressing harder) braked some of the wheels and kept the car going where I was pointing it.

In other words, when DSC kicks in, you are no longer really controlling all the inputs besides steering or if you decide to completely get off throttle and slam brakes.

DSC is all about Stability!

DTC = Dynamic Traction Control --> Work to keep your drivewheels from spinning out of control

When you do a quick press of the DTC button; (DTC light in dashboard),the car is basically warning you that only DTC is on. DTC works manly with ABS to keep your drive wheels from spinning out of control.

I tested it Driving on that same snow covered wide space (little bit icy under snow), and did a quick turn @ 45Km/h, The rear of the car went out and I had to counter steer to bring it back where I wanted & DSC kicked in as I gave more gas and kept the wheels spinning while limiting spin.

In other words, when DTC kicks you are controlling all the inputs, it will not factor in anything for you besides limiting drive wheels spin (not an LSD) to give you a certain level of TRACTION.

What that made me realize is that it's nice to be a good driver and control you car, but If I did the same thing on the road with only DTC on... the ass of the car would have either, clipped a curb, guard rail or a car next to me.

LAST:
If you keep the button pressed for a little longer ... then you are on your own with the Beast.

Again I tried my little test with all of it off. I can tell you that, with the amount of torque in the car the wheels in snow or ice (even with very little throttle), the engine revved and the wheels spun and spun and spun ... no Traction.

I would recommend this mode either on track or on nice warm day at limited speeds.
Appreciate 0