CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvin2010 View Post
Thanks for your detail explanation!!!
Sounds like it is easier to get the rebound rate right than the compression rate. Like you said, if I feel I am launched out from the seat, that means too over on the rebound. But how can I get to the right point of the compression rate??
You are welcome. Adjust compression (and afterwards, rebound) until you are satisfied with the car's responsiveness AND the ride is comfortable for you. There's a balance between ride comfort and handling, so if it feels too stiff, then it is and you should reduce compression. And if it's harsh, you should reduce rebound. There is a difference between harsh and stiff.

Don't worry initially about 'getting it right' - the dampers are adjustable and you can adjust them at any time. I guarantee your preference will change over time. You won't know what is 'right' (and I say 'right' loosely because as I said, driver preference is key) until you try some settings, go with it for a while, then adjust them again (it's good idea to write the settings down in a notebook - be sure to note your tire model and tire pressures too). The same settings won't be ideal everywhere - e.g. really stiff on a smooth track is great but on the street ... nah.

Sooner or later you'll understand the setting's effects, and neither I nor anyone else can give that experience to you in text form. Kind of like riding a bike.

Good luck out on the track, be sure to tell us about it. There's usually a ton of knowledgeable and kind people at HPDE events (especially BMW CCA) - get a ride with someone and just have fun.