View Single Post
      05-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #82
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GT4, Raptor.2, Tuono 1100F

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Yeah I love how only the American rags can possibly be biased. But the Euro rags.... INCONCEIVABLE!!!!

"Just for this specific course", referring to the 'Ring? You do know why manufacturers bench there, right? Because it covers pretty much every aspect of balancing a chassis. It's a highly technical and widely varying course.

Please list your credentials behind your expertise on these vehicles, along with a list of those you have driven and where (which I'm sure the Z06, CTS-V, and BOSS are on, right???). Also, I'm not sure if you realize this, but your sig screams, HEY I'M VIOLATING ToU, PERMABAN MY IPS IMMEDIATELY. You might want to change that, especially before posting in a thread with a mod.

Anyway, for those saying the times for the American cars are "fake", maybe take a look at the guys who put up a lot of those times. Pobst has chosen Euro cars over American cars after driving them back to back on the same course, even when the American cars win. Now tell me.... Why would he sandbag the Euro car and then pick it anyway? He wouldn't.

I think it still takes more skill to extract the full potential of a lot of these cars, BOSS and Shelby included (and I'd imagine CTS-V and ZL1 as well). The balance of steering and feedback along with their predictable tendencies at the limit make the amateur driver feel like they can go faster in the M3 versus some of these cars. That makes a metric shit tonne of sense. However, one has to realize that these professional drivers, like Pobst, have the skill and experience to drive the American cars much faster than your average Joe. It doesn't surprise me that some of you think the M3 is faster from the driver's seat. That's to be expected when amateurs are at the wheel (<--- This is NOT a dig at anyone, I'm an amateur too). However, this isn't necessarily going to translate to faster lap times in the hands of a pro. They're professionals for a reason.

As far as the accusation that GM sent out a hero car to do that lap.... Who doesn't send ringers to the media? Off the top of my head, the ridonkulous '07 335i that was making rounds is one I can think of. All manufacturers do it. If your hero car doesn't lap as fast as the other guy's hero car, maybe their car is indeed faster? Maybe you just suck at setting up your hero car.... I don't know. But in the end, why is it so hard to believe a 556 HP car can lap the ring that fast? Because of its weight? Well I don't mean to compare the CTS-V to the GT-R, but Godzilla has proven weight can be effectively ignored to an extent (albeit through a great AWD system). What about the M5? That thing has been thumbing its nose at curb weight for a long time too. So now when Cadillac does it, it must be faked? Gimme a freaking break.
You're right, every car maker sends out ringers. And everyone keeps falling for them.
Appreciate 0