View Single Post
      06-13-2013, 04:58 AM   #114
mesonparticle
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 BMW 330d M Sport Highline

OBD security updates - the plot thickens

So I emailed the dealer before I pick up the car with the following:

1. Can you confirm that the Car Access System (CAS) has been updated with the security fix which aims to prevent key cloning via the OBD port? I believe the CAS module needs to be updated to 9287535.
2. Can you confirm that the security fix for ‘comfort access’ has been disabled in the footwell module (FRM)? Apparently it’s easy to check by putting the key in the lock with the car locked, turning it anti-clockwise and holding it. If the windows drop then the security fix is not active.

These updates may have already been applied, but I felt it important to check in advance.

The dealer replied with:

"Security wise, the only update possible for the 330d is the comfort opening one. This can be done on the car but it may need booking in by you as 'the customer' to demonstrate to BMW that an owner has requested the software to be changed."

Is he saying that the 330d (it's a 2009/59) does not need the CAS update, it's not physically possible or it's not 'applicable' as it's already been done?

Now I'm confused!

Also, should I be charged for the request for the security update for the change to the window drop?

** EDIT **

Have just heard back from the dealer. The update to the CAS was completed as part of the Approved Used check so everything is up-to-date regarding the security. They have also promised to remove the Comfort Access before collection.

Last edited by mesonparticle; 06-13-2013 at 06:45 AM.. Reason: New information
Appreciate 0